MEET THE EXPERTS
“Meet the Experts” offers community education and access to local experts on a variety of topics important to seniors and good health. Recent monthly presentations have covered topics such as Alzheimer’s and Dementia, Caring for the Caregiver, Downsizing and Transitions, 25 Documents Everyone Should Have in Place, Senior Safety in the Home, and Fall Prevention. These presentations are sponsored by VNA of Southern California.
Meet the Experts : Cardiac Disease
Heart disease is the number one cause of death in America for men and women,” said Dr. Timothy Dauwalder, VNA of Southern California Medical Director. Dr. Dauwalder is a regular presenter at the “Meet the Experts” series.
In this video, Dr. Dauwalder discusses:
- The physiology of the heart and vessels.
- Basic names/terms, like Congestive Heart Failure (CHF), and other vascular diseases, so people are informed, not intimidated when talking to their doctor.
- What is hypertension and high blood pressure?
- Family history.
- Recognizing symptoms and when to see your doctor.
- Heart disease, a silent killer.
Dr. Dauwalder recommends that patients talk with their doctor about heart disease and remember to communicate (not ignore) any symptoms that may help their doctor diagnose and care for them.